Sunday, October 31, 2010

Week 8 NFL Picks



What a spooooooky week of football action we have this week! Not. I hate Halloween gimmick columns, so I'm gonna stay away from that. Do love the holiday, though, because I am still five years old and love candy (especially Reese's). Anyway, it's like halfway through the season, and the teams are starting to separate into the good and bad (I'll do a column on that later), except in the NFC, where everyone is mediocre.

Denver vs San Francisco (-2) (IN LONDON)

The NFL always thinks they've scheduled a real doozy for this game, and yet, I don't think its ever turned out well. San Francisco is really, really bad, and Denver just laid an egg last week. I think Denver is pissed off and will rebound well against the 49ers, who seem to sort of be quitting on their coach. How many times can you get berated and have it still mean something? Denver covers and wins.

Jacksonville at Dallas (-6.5)

Jon Kitna takes over for Dallas, who are mow just playing for pride after Tony Romo was destroyed. That was so lovely to see. Jacksonville is pretty hopeless, and is just good enough to stay in most games but never good enough to win. I'll take Dallas to win, because even with their bad pass defense I think they can stop Garrard, but I'll take the Jags to cover. Though I'm iffy on it.

Washington at Detroit (-2.5)

Detroit is one of the most fun teams to watch. They love to chuck the ball to Calvin Johnson whenever possible so he can do awesome things (like save my fantasy team). On the other hand, I saw Washington live last week. Snooze. Detroit wins and covers.

Green Bay at NY Jets (-6.5)

The Jets, fresh off a bye, against a team that constantly shoots itself in the foot and has trouble stopping people on defense? Yeah, I'll take them to win and cover. The Jets are legit, whereas the Packers are failing to live up to the hype.

Carolina at St.Louis (-2.5)

St. Louis is another fun team to watch, mostly because of the level of play Sam Bradford has come out with. He's gonna be very good, barring injury, of course. Carolina is pretty bad,has Matt Moore starting at QB, can't get a good running game going, and almost lost to the 49ers last week. St. Louis wins and covers.

Miami (-1) at Cincinnati

Sorry, I'm not believing the Cinci hype. Not enough for the spread to be this low. Miami has a great defense, some playmakers on offense, and have only lost to some very good teams. They're gonna win and cover, and maybe show everyone that Cinci is just not that good.

Buffalo at Kansas City (-7)

As much as I'd like to say last week was a sign of things to come for the Bills, my expect the worst instincts are telling me that the Bills are going to come out and crap the bed. They just won't be able to stop the Chiefs running game. Still,I think they might be able to put up a decent amount of points, so I'll say Chiefs win but Bills cover.

Tennessee at San Diego(-5)

Tough game here, because San Diego SHOULD be really good, but have consistently found ways to lose. Whereas Tennessee hasn't looked good enough to get them favored against the Chargers. I think San Diego wakes up and wins, but the Titans cover behind some Chris Johnson wizardry.

Tampa Bay at Arizona (-3)

I like Tampa Bay. Fun, young team thats doing decently this year. The Cardinals are toiling under Max Hall, and Larry Fitzgerald is starting to die very slowly every time he's underutilized. So Tampa covers and wins.

Seattle at Oakland (-3)

Welcome to your hell game! I couldn't care less about either of these teams, and both only have playoff hopes because of their crappy divisions. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the Raiders are very due for a letdown, whereas Seattle has played decently on the road. It goes against my instincts, but I'll take Seattle to cover and win. Also, Dennis Miller, a Jewish Mother, Tony Kornheiser, and Forrest Gump are doing a four person booth for this one. Welcome to your doom!


Minnesota at New England (-5.5)

Randy Moss returns, and he's probably wishing now that he wasn't such a cock, or else he'd still be on a contender. If he was anything like a normal person, that is. We'll see Brett Favre tough it out this game, and totally ham up his injury for pity points and more attention. Ugh. The Patriots have returned to their annoying winning ways in which they dink and dunk down the field and somehow manage to win. They'll beat the Vikings and cover, and continue to annoy the hell out of me.

Piitsburgh at New Orleans (-1.5)

Did anyone not see how the Saints played last week? And some of the weeks before? They're just not as consistently good as they were last season. Pittsburgh is a juggernaut right now, even if they had to get extremely lucky last week. Pittsburgh is a top 3 team in the league, maybe THE top team, so its not hard for me to say they'll win and cover.

Houston at Indianapolis (-5.5)

Indianapolis is going to be out for blood this game. I don't think they're gonna let Arian Foster sneak up on them this time. Plus they're at home, on Monday Night. Peyton always elevates his game on Monday Night. Plus, they need to show that they're still the kings of the AFC South. All signs point towards Indy winning and covering.

No comments: