Sunday, November 7, 2010

Week 9 NFL Picks- My Super Bowl



Yes, this is the most important week of the NFL Season for me. This week, The Cheecago Bears take on the Buffalo Bills, while I reside in the heart of Bears country. If the Bills lose, I face a week (or more) of ridicule from pretty much everyone I know. If they win, I will be giving a personal middle finger to all of Chicago by wearing my Bills gears ALL WEEK. So its a big Sunday, to be sure.

Speaking of which...

Chicago (-3) "at" Buffalo (in Toronto)

I have to Bill-ieve. I have to. They've come close the last two weeks against teams better than the Bears (and also kept it close against the Patriots). The offense is moving the ball effectively,and the defense is kind of improving. Jay Cutler seems primed to give the Buffalo secondary their first interceptions of the season. The Bears offensive line is so bad that even though Buffalo can't stop the run or rush the passer, the Bears won't be able to get a good ground game going and the Bills will get some sacks. I have to Bill-ieve. I have to Bill-ieve. Bills win outright, covering the spread. Full disclosure: I would not be surprised at all if the Bills lost horribly, condemning me to weeks of hell. But they have to. For my sake. Just this one time.

Note: If I were an impartial observer, this would be your hell game. In hell, it'll be shown with Canadian announcers to match the setting. DON'T YA KNOW DER, THAT WAS A GOOD PLAY, EH? (Canadian stereotypes...gotta love 'em.)

San Diego (-3) at Houston

San Diego finally looked to be (a little) on track in beating the Titans last week, whereas the Texans looked pretty flat in a big game against the Colts. The Chargers look primed for another late season run, so I'll take them to cover on the road against the fading Texans.

New Orleans (-6.5) at Carolina

New Orleans woke up last week and delivered an impressive win over the Steelers, who some thought to be the best team in the NFL. Carolina, meanwhile, might be the least interesting team of this season. They can't decide whether to start Matt Moore or Jimmy Clausen, which is like deciding between Nickelback and Kid Rock. Anyway, the Saints cover this pretty easily.

Arizona at Minnesota (-7.5)

Minnesota seems to be in turmoil, with a decrepit quarterback, a coach on the scalding hot seat, an owner with a hilarious stereotypical Tycoon moustache who hates his coach, and having just cut the mercurial Randy Moss. It shows how bad Arizona is that Minnesota is still favored by seven and a half. I think, just like last week against the Bucs, Arizona keeps it close and covers, but Minnesota wins, keeping their playoff hopes alive. Or, if they lose, maybe beginning the T-Jax era. MEDIOCRITY: GET USED TO IT.

Tampa Bay at Atlanta (-9)

I like Tampa Bay too much to think they won't cover. They're fun to watch, with Josh Freeman slinging it to Mike Williams and a turnover oriented defense. Atlanta has been inconsistent all year, but mostly good. I don't think, though, that they're good enough to win by 2+ scores against a Bucs team hungry to prove they're legit. So the Bucs cover but Atlanta wins.

NY Jets (-5) at Detroit

The New York Jets were shut up this week after they came out flat after their bye week and crapped the bed against the Packers. They should do better this week, but I see the Lions covering because they put up points no matter what, especially in garbage time. Lions keep it close and cover, Jets win and keep talking. Ugh.

Miami at Baltimore (-5.5)

Miami is tough to figure, but they do play well on the road. Last week they barely got by Cinci, a not great team. Now they face the Ravens, who are coming off the bye. I'll believe in the Dolphins if they can win this game, but I think they'll only cover while the Ravens win. Flacco and the offense always find a way to score when they need to, and the defense is capable of bottling up the Miami offense.

New England (-4) at Cleveland

The Patriots are BACK, according to Bill Simmons, and nothing could be more annoying. Because now Patriots fans are BACK to being even bigger jerks who love the way the "old Patriots teams" played, before they got Moss. Now they're back to being annoyingly good without the talent, using their "superior intellect" or whatever. So much arrogance coming from the Massholes, and I'm having trouble dealing with it. The Patriots will probably win this one by 10, because they'll make less mistakes than the Browns and have one big play. The Browns will try to keep pace, but Peyton Hillis can only do so much, and the defense will be overmatched. Patriots cover.

NY Giants (-7) at Seattle

The Giants have a good team with a healthy offense and a stingy defense. I strongly believe in Seattles home field advantage, though, and their propensity to stay in games they shouldn't, so I say the Seahawks cover but the Giants win. Hope it's low scoring. Fantasy wise.

Kansas City at Oakland (PK)

PICK EM! I watched the Chiefs backslide into a victory last week, so I'm going with the team with all the momentum. THE OAKLAND RAIDERS JUST WIN FOOTBALL GAMES! Watch for Darren McFadden to light it up, and for Matt Cassel to still be an ineffective NFL Quarterback.

Indianapolis at Philadelphia (-3)

Philly is always great off the bye week. That is completely clouding my judgement here, but I think the Eagles win a close win, as the always good Colts keep it close, but Mike Vick is able to make it happen against a weak Colts D.

Dallas at Green Bay (-7)

Dallas is "playing for pride" (as NBC is putting it), but I really think they've just given up. The Packers played one of the most impressive games of the season last week in shutting out the Jets in Jersey, so I see no reason why they can't light up a Cowboys team that gave up 35 to the Jaguars. Packers win and cover.
Also, one solace to this winless Bills season is that the Cowboys suck as well.

Pittsburgh (-5) at Cincinnati

I think the Steelers are going to be very angry at the fact that they lost last week, and will take it out on the woefully overrated Bengals. Carson Palmer, as stated before, is not really a good QB and the Steelers D will feast on him. Roethlisberger and the Steelers O should be able to move the ball vs. a decent Bengals defense. Pittsburgh wins and covers.

No comments: