Friday, January 14, 2011

NFL Divisional Round Picks


After a brief brush my with own mortality (I did say I would lose my faith in humanity if the Seahawks won), I'm back to making NFL Picks. I actually went 3-1 last week, so it turned out ok! The Divisional Round is looking good. I'm very interested in 3 of the 4 matchups, and one of them has some potential (Bears-Seahawks). Here we go.

Baltimore at Pittsburgh (-3)

This is the nastiest rivalry in football, and the playoffs merely serves as a background for the pure hate these two teams have for one another. Let me remind everyone: Ben Roethlisberger had his nose BROKEN last time these two teams played. As for a pick, I find it hard to differentiate. Both teams have great defenses and play a pretty conservative, boring offense. I think Ben Roethlisberger is a better quarterback than Joe Flacco, especially in the playoffs, and his connection with Mike Wallace makes the Steelers offense more dangerous. The Ravens have a weakness at DB; look for the Steelers to exploit it. Steelers win, but don't cover. The Ravens will be too fired up to let it be anything but close.

Green Bay at Atlanta (-1.5)
Another great matchup. These teams already played a close game, with Atlanta winning 20-17 on a last second field goal. Everyone talks about how bland the Falcons are; and I have to agree. The defense is nothing special, and the offense is built on Michael Turner getting 3 yards on first and second down, setting up short third downs. Unfortunately for the Falcons, the Packers are made to stop this team; they can shut down the run and put Charles Woodson on Roddy White, forcing Matt Ryan to look at the rest of his shallow receiving corps. In my mind, the Packers should be able to do this and also put up points behind their offense that now may have a semblance of a running game. Packers win outright.

Seattle at Chicago (-10)

I'm going to be honest. I have no way to break down this game rationally. But I think the Seahawks are going to win again. People in Chicago are already looking ahead to a possible Bears-Packers game next week. Their hearts aren't in it. This Seahawks team has literally nothing to lose at this point. The Bears have the expectations of a city on their back. Their luck has been too good for too long. It has to run out. Cutler and Lovie Smith are due to be their true selves. The Seahawks will win outright.

Gulp. It's just a gut feeling, and I could look like an idiot after this. But I just feel like it's gonna happen. Or, possibly, it's my hope that every Bears fan will shut up. My god it is terrible in this town.

NY Jets at New England (-8)

I'm sorry, but when did it become acceptable to trash talk a team after they beat you 45-3? Sure, the Jets did beat them this season...in week 2. In the domain of what-have-you-done-for-me-lately, the Patriots absolutely destroyed the Jets last time they played. It was one of the few times the Jets were shut up. But then after the Colts game they went and yapped again. Yes, please, give the Patriots more motivation. That's a great idea. With that in mind, I say the Patriots win and cover. The Jets dug their own grave here.

In related news, Wes Welker's press conference, where he brought up "feet" or "staying on our toes" A TON, was awesome.

No comments: