Wednesday, September 15, 2010

The Haters Bowl

Intriguing ideas that come up while watching sports, pt. 1.

While I was watching Michigan vs. Notre Dame, I struggled to think of which team I was rooting more against. Both teams are completely overhyped by the media EVERY season, given too much attention because of prior success, and their fans are completely obnoxious. Both schools have a sense of entitlement that they no longer deserve.

To become interested in a game in which you have no rooting interest, I usually take up a rooting interest. In this case, though, how was I to pick? The popular choice, via the internet (Deadspin commenters, perhaps), is to root for a giant meteor to strike the stadium, INCINERATING everyone. Still, you have to pick someone to root for in the meantime. When you pick the lesser of two evils, it still feels pretty dirty. There's no enjoyment brought from that. And that is why I fear a Cowboys-Jets Superbowl (which the Sporting News predicted). What would I watch the game for? It would be hard for me to watch either of those teams win anything. It would ruin the Superbowl for me. I can only hope these Sophie's Choice decisions come up when the stakes are low.

No comments: