Saturday, February 5, 2011

Super Bowl Super Pick

I've thought about this pick for what seems to be an interminable amount of time (this two week break is a killer) and changed it, it seems, a ridiculous amount of times (I hate when people use infinitely as a descriptor. If there were an infinite amount of universes,there would be an infinite amount of universes where the Cubs, Bills and Sabres are the winning-est teams in all of sports, and where I'm dating a model. It's that much. So quit it with the usage). Anyway, I can't quite put my finger on why, but I'm picking the Packers. It's a mixture of my heart, my gut, and my brains.

The heart- The Steelers have won six Super Bowls, and only lost one. Cosmically, that's not fair. Plus, seven championships would throw the Yinzers over the edge into even more obnoxious fans. And, after seeing the Packers beat Chicago's beloved Bears and causing a wave of bitterness in the city that warmed my heart, I can't help but root for them.

The brains- My initial feeling was that the Steelers would win this game because of their historically good running defense. But the Packers a)have had success running the ball recently, even against the Bears, because of brilliant blocking up front and tough running from James Stark and b) the Steelers can be beat in the air. Aaron Rodgers is playing on another level right now, similar to what Tom Brady was doing when the Patriots played the Steelers (and Brady had a huge day). Rodgers ability to put the ball into tight spaces, short or long, will let him move the ball efficiently against this defense. On the other side of the ball, the Packer have a ball hawking defense, so its possible some of the plays that Roethlisberger extends will be picked off instead of his usual luck. Plus, we have Clay Matthews pissed off that he lost DPOY to Troy Polamalu. He might state his case here. The Steelers are also starting their backup center against B.J. Raji. Sounds like a mismatch. Packers should be able to pressure Ben Roethlisberger from the inside and on outside blitzes by Matthews and Charles Woodson.

With all that being said, it will certainly be close. Even with all the advantages I just named, the Steelers should be able to move the ball behind Rashard Mendenhall and Roethlisberger throwing to Hines Ward and Mike Wallace, and get some stops on the defensive side (and probably some illegal James Harrison hits). The Steelers are no slouches. But, in the end, my gut, it just says Packers, in a close one. Hope it lives up to the hype.

Also. Could everyone just turn off their TV for this Black Eyed Peas Halftime Abortion? If an atrocious band plays halftime at the Super Bowl, and no one is watching except for paid fans on the field, does it really happen? Also, if you go to a Super Bowl party for the ads, then you are lame and must remain quiet during the game, lest you draw the ire of everyone else. Finally, lay off the hyperbole after the Super Bowl. Not every game can be "the Greatest of All Time", sorry. Anyway, enjoy one of the few truly national events we have left. Go Pack Go!

1 comment:

http://www.ehow.com/members/stevemar2-articles.html said...

You make several excellent points. I can’t wait for the Super Bowl, even though I’m not a huge fan of either team. I just want to ensure I really enjoy the game since there is a possibility that the 2011 season will be canceled, or at best shortened. I’m just hoping for a close, entertaining game. If I had to predict the final score, I’d say Pittsburgh 27, Green Bay 23.